Ultimate Guide to Invisalign Care
You’re probably reading this page to learn more about how to clean Invisalign.
To start off, congratulations on starting your journey towards a beautiful smile.
At this point, we have taken 3D images of your teeth, delivered your first set of custom-made clear Invisalign aligners, and you’ve begun orthodontic treatment with Invisalign. You have taken the first step in transforming your smile for the better and now you’re on your way to a priceless smile. Now, you may be concerned about Invisalign Care and ask yourself: How do I clean my Invisalign aligners?
You might know why Invisalign has become an increasingly popular alternative to traditional metal braces, but do you know how it works? One important rule is keeping the Invisalign aligners on your teeth for at least 22 hours each day, but equally important is remembering to keep your Invisalign and teeth clean. Proper upkeep and maintaining good oral hygiene are essential for keeping your Invisalign clean, invisible, and odor-free. Although Invisalign allows for trays to be removed before eating and drinking but failing to clean your Invisalign aligners properly afterwards can result in discoloration and a buildup of bacteria.
Bad breath can afflict the best of us, but an Invisalign aligner that has not been properly cleaned and maintained is especially at risk for germ and bacterial retention, which can cause a stink. The bottom line is that Invisalign needs to be cleaned every single day to ensure good treatment.
Suggested Tips for Invisalign Care
What does a normal day look like for Invisalign care? Fret not if you haven’t got a clue we’ve put together some tips and a healthy routine just for you!
Clean Both Teeth and Invisalign When You Wake Up
Since you’ll be sleeping with your Invisalign on, the first thing to do each morning is remove them, clean your teeth, and clean your Aligners before placing them back in your mouth. A lot of bacteria can build up while you sleep, so this step is especially important for proper Invisalign care. It should be repeated before bed as well.
Rinse Your Aligners Each Time You Remove Them from Your Mouth
For proper Invisalign care it’s important to rinse your aligners with cold water every time you remove them to wash away dried saliva. Never leave your Invisalign trays out in the open if you’ve taken them out. Keeping your case handy is incredibly important to maintaining good oral hygiene. Never rinse your aligners with hot water as that can warp the trays and cause discomfort or bend them out of shape.
Soak Your Trays Daily
The best way to have a clean set of aligners is to soak them daily in either Invisalign cleaning crystals or a denture cleaner. Never soak your Invisalign aligners in mouthwash or hot water, as they can damage your Invisalign trays. After soaking your Invisalign, use a spare toothbrush to rid the trays of lingering plaque or food particles.
Don’t Eat or Drink with Invisalign in your Mouth
Whenever you eat or drink anything except water, don’t forget to remove your Invisalign trays first. This protects them from bacterial buildup and protects your teeth from trapped food particles, which can cause dental issues later on. These trays are not built for chewing, and the action can damage them inadvertently or stain them.
Proven Ways to Clean Your Invisalign
Invisalign cleaning with Soap and WaterUse a bit of a gentle, unscented liquid soap in a cup of warm water and stir until you see suds, then soak your trays in the solution for 20-30 minutes. After that, you will want to brush and rinse your Invisalign aligners.
Using Vinegar and Water for Invisalign CleaningUse one part white distilled vinegar to three parts water and soak your Invisalign aligners in the mixture for about 20 minutes before brushing, rinsing and replacing them in your mouth. You’ll want to make sure thorough Invisalign cleaning to avoid a residual vinegar taste.
Mixing Peroxide with Water for Invisalign CleaningTake hydrogen peroxide and water in equal parts mix them together, and soak for up to 30 minutes. Remember to brush and rinse before popping your Invisalign aligners back in your mouth!
Invisalign Cleaning with Baking soda and WaterMix a tablespoon of baking soda into half cup water until the mixture is consistent. Put your Invisalign trays inside the liquid for 60 minutes before a thorough brush and rinse to ensure no residue remains.
Traveling Tips with Invisalign
Orthodontic Experts is an Invisalign Premier Provider. This means our orthodontists have extensive training in diagnosing and treating teeth alignment issues with Invisalign. Once you are on your way to get a beautiful straighter smile with Invisalign what would you do if something happened to your Invisalign aligners while you were out of town?
What happens if an aligner breaks or left behind at a restaurant while eating, or you lost your purse or luggage with your Invisalign aligners inside? Here are some tips on what to do if you are out of town and something happens to your aligners!
- It depends upon the duration of your trip, at minimum; always take your previous, current and next set of aligners with you. Depending on how long you have been wearing your current set of aligners will determine whether you will go back to a previous set or move forward to the next one. General rule of thumb … if your current aligners are tight, go back to the previous set and if you can remove your Invisalign aligners easily in the second week, move forward to the next set. However, if its possible contact your orthodontist and let them decide, call them immediately.
- If you are planning to be out of town for more than two weeks, you can order replacement aligners, if needed, and your orthodontist will ship them to you direct. Continue wearing your previous set of aligners until the new aligners arrive and start again with the new set.
- Be prepared and always carry your Invisalign aligners in your purse or carry-on luggage when flying because baggage can be delayed or lost.
- An extra case of Invisalign aligners is always a good idea. If you leave one case behind in a hotel or restaurant, you have a spare.
- It isn’t always convenient to brush your teeth after eating while you are traveling. Make sure you at least rinse out your mouth and Invisalign aligners before putting them back into your mouth. You can brush your teeth when you get back to your room. This isn’t ideal, but acceptable in a pinch.
The most important part of ensuring oral hygiene during your Invisalign treatment is keeping your Invisalign trays as clean as possible. You can do by establishing a routine. It will help you keep track of the recommended actions by our orthodontist at Orthodontic Experts, and it will make the process of Invisalign care much easier to follow. If you’re willing to get Invisalign or simply have questions about Invisalign care, get in touch with our team to schedule a free consultation.