Today orthodontic treatment is no longer just for kids and teenagers. Many adults are seeking orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining good oral health and they want to feel great about their appearance. The American Association of Orthodontists reports that today one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Some reasons why you might want to consider orthodontic treatment as an adult.
- Crowded or spaced teeth make it harder to maintain good oral hygiene and may predispose to cavities and gum infection
- Bad bite (improperly fitting teeth) can make chewing harder and less efficient
- Improper bite can put excess pressure on jaw joints and cause joint pain
- Improper bite can wear down teeth faster and lead to chipping and cracking of teeth
- Improperly aligned teeth make it harder for your dentist to perform necessary dental work (implants, bridges, etc.)
- Beautiful smile adds confidence and helps you succeed in your personal and professional life!
What are orthodontic treatment options for adults?
Nowadays, aside from traditional metal braces, multiple esthetic orthodontic treatment options are available to adult patients. Esthetic types of braces include:
- Clear ceramic braces
- Invisalign clear aligners (invisible braces)
- Lingual (behind-the-teeth) braces