The Complete Guide to Your Invisalign Clear Aligner Journey!
A lot of people have heard of “invisible braces,” but they might not be sure how they really work. Invisalign clear aligners are virtually invisible. These types of braces include no metal and are custom made for your teeth. They work in a series of trays that gradually shift your teeth into place. Each tray is manufactured so that the teeth are slightly straighter than the previous tray.
Invisible patients are just as satisfied with their results as patients with traditional braces. However, you have to make sure you’re wearing your aligners according to the recommendation from your orthodontist.
Invisalign is known to treat mild to severe cases, including as follows: underbites, overbites, overcrowding, and gaps between teeth.
Orthodontic Experts is a Diamond Plus Invisalign and Invisalign Teen provider in the Chicagoland area. This means that our orthodontists have achieved a significant level of experience in treating patients with the Invisalign and Invisalign Teen systems. To maintain the Diamond Plus Provider designation, an orthodontist must treat about 280 to 399 patients with Invisalign each year.
To guide you through the Invisalign process, we will be talking about what makes Invisalign different from other braces, treatment time, what the expectations will be when you are wearing Invisalign, Helpful tips, and Orthodontic Experts Invisalign exclusive promotion.
Your Invisible Friend We Call Invisalign
Choosing Invisalign will build a confident smile without the wires and brackets. The main two benefits of Invisalign clear aligners are that the aligners are almost completely invisible, and that they’re removable. Invisalign aligners tend to be more comfortable than traditional metal braces, since the aligners are made of a smooth plastic that won’t irritate the gums or cheeks that some brackets and wires might do so.
Benefits of Invisalign Clear Aligners:
- Invisalign clear aligners are removable and you have the flexibility to take them out to eat and drink what you want during the treatment.
- There are no dietary restrictions during Invisalign.
- When it is time to brush and floss your teeth, you can easily take the aligners out. This is a lot easier to maintain good oral hygiene during Invisalign treatment as compared with traditional metal braces.
- Your orthodontic visits will be shorter with Invisalign as there isn’t any wire adjustments and discomfort afterwards. Here is a pro, there is more flexibility when scheduling an appointment!
- There are no restrictions when it comes to sports or physical activities with Invisalign. If you or your child plays contact sports, unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign trays can be removed for sport practices or games so that you or your child can wear a mouthguard for protection.
- Invisalign treatment simulation software allows you to view your virtual treatment results before you start. The nice part is that you can see the actual planned tooth movements and final results and even ask questions about your future treatment before it even starts.
- The greatest benefit of Invisalign is that the aligners are virtually invisible.
Small Shifts for Big Changes
One of the concerns you might have with Invisalign is if it hurts or causes discomfort. First, don’t let the word pain throw you off. Invisalign doesn’t hurt typically, but some patients can experience slight tenderness or pressure. However, Invisalign is less painful than your regular traditional metal braces and like any type of orthodontic treatment, the pain tends to fade after the teeth start to adjust from wearing the aligners and to having new aligners swapped in and out.
There are few sources of pain when it comes to Invisalign. In most cases pain or discomfort will occur when the Invisalign aligners are first fitted and when the aligner trays are changed about every 2 weeks. For most, discomfort is minor and will subside within a few days, while others may feel discomfort throughout treatment.
What happens within the first week of having Invisalign?
During the first week of Invisalign treatment, you can expect to feel some soreness and general discomfort as you get used to wearing your aligners. It may feel strange to have the aligners in your mouth at first, but after a day or so you will get used to them.
When you have Invisalign clear aligners, always remember not to do these things during your treatment:
- Don’t get them dirty. It’s important to drink nothing, but water when your Invisalign aligners are in.
- Don’t scratch them. Help your aligners last the length of your treatment by taking good care of them.
- Make sure you don’t rush the treatment.
- Don’t play with them.
- Remember to brush!
Talking with Invisalign
Talking with Invisalign just like any other orthodontic appliance that stays in your mouth may take a few days to get used to. During this time, your tongue may also need to get used to having Invisalign in your mouth. The chances of having speech impediments caused by Invisalign are very low. When you have your Invisalign appliances placed for the first time, it is quite common for the patient to notice slight changes in their speech while talking with Invisalign. For instance, when a patient notices any speech impediment while wearing Invisalign and it bothers them, there are ways to fix it within only a few days. Always remember the saying, practicing is key. Regular practice to pronounce and enunciate different words is the best way to get rid of a slight lisp and it makes talking with Invisalign much easier. So, don’t you worry because you will be a master at talking with your Invisalign.
Eating with Invisalign
Eating with Invisalign is easy and simple because all you have to do is just take your aligners out when you’re ready to eat or drink and then brush your teeth before putting them back in. Always wear your Invisalign aligners 20 to 22 hours a day for the best results. Even certain foods that you couldn’t eat with traditional metal braces are similar to when you have Invisalign. In fact, not just gum, but rather all sticky foods and candies should be avoided with Invisalign. For example, foods like jelly beans, caramel, starbursts, etc. can pull and tug the aligners, possibly breaking or damaging them. Also, avoiding specific drinks like coffee, tea, and wine can easily stain your Invisalign aligners.
What does a normal day look like for Invisalign care? If you haven’t gotten a clue, no worries! We have put together some tips and a healthy routine just for you!
Tips for Cleaning Your Invisalign Aligners
- Clean both teeth and Invisalign when you wake up:
- Since you will be sleeping with your Invisalign clear aligners on, the first thing to do each morning is remove them, clean your teeth, and clean your aligners before placing them back in your mouth. A lot of bacteria can build up while you sleep, so this step is especially important for proper Invisalign care. It should be repeated before bed as well.
- Rinse your aligners each time you remove them from your mouth:
- For proper Invisalign care it’s important to rinse your aligners with cold water every time you remove them to wash away dried saliva. Never leave your Invisalign trays out in the open if you’ve taken them out. Keeping your case handy is incredibly important to maintaining good oral hygiene. Never rinse your Invisalign aligners with hot water.
- Soak your trays daily:
- The best way to have a clean set of aligners is to soak them daily in either Invisalign cleaning crystals or a denture cleaner. Never soak your Invisalign aligners in mouthwash or hot water as they can damage your Invisalign trays. After soaking your Invisalign aligners, use a spare toothbrush to rid the trays of lingering plaque or food particles.
- Don’t eat or drink with your Invisalign in your mouth:
- Whenever you eat or drink anything except water, don’t forget to remove your Invisalign aligners first. This protects them from bacterial buildup and protects your teeth from trapped food particles, which can cause issues later on. These trays are not built for chewing, and the action can damage them or stain them.
You also might have noticed that cleanliness is very important to us here at Orthodontic Experts. Maintain good Invisalign aligner hygiene with the following cleaning tips for clear aligners.
- Invisalign cleaning with soap and water.
- Using Vinegar and water for Invisalign cleaning.
- Mixing peroxide with water for Invisalign cleaning.
- Invisalign cleaning using baking soda and water.
A Great Smile for Any Age
Many of our patients know what Invisalign Teen is, but some patients still wonder how the treatment exactly works. If you’re in your teenage years and love going out with your friends, and you don’t want to watch what you eat and how you look while having your orthodontic treatment, then Invisalign Teen is the right choice. Invisalign Teen has several benefits over traditional metal braces that can make your treatment easier. First of all, Invisalign Teen is invisible and your friends won’t notice that you’re getting your teeth straightened. Invisalign Teen consists of 2 clear trays that are totally impossible for others to see. Finally, with Invisalign Teen it will be easier to take care of your teeth because the trays are removable, which you can easily brush and floss your teeth. Always remember, you can wear your Invisalign aligners without letting your friends or classmates know that you’re straightening your teeth. Choose Invisalign Teen today and start the journey to your dream smile!
Quick tips for your Invisalign Clear Aligners
- Clean your trays regularly
- Eat. Brush. Insert. Repeat
- Make a portable care kit for your Invisalign
- Save your nails and health and get a special tool to remove your aligners
- Track your success and set a reminder
Your Local Invisalign Specialists are at Orthodontic Experts!
At Orthodontic Experts, we want to be sure that your treatment proceeds as smoothly as and effectively as possible. Therefore, it is so easy to get started with your Invisalign appointment. Just call us today at (855) 720-2470 or schedule your next Invisalign FREE consultation! Start your journey with us at Orthodontic Experts and ask about our $500 off Invisalign treatment special!