Selecting braces treatment to fix crooked teeth is a step towards a healthier, better-looking smile. But while they are necessary, they can also be challenging to adjust to. One of the biggest changes is identifying the best foods for braces.
Certain foods like popcorn, gum, and hard candy are off-limits, but there are still plenty of delicious foods that you can enjoy while wearing braces. This blog will explore some of the best soft foods for braces. From easy-to-chew snacks to delicious main dishes, there are various options that won’t damage your braces!
Benefits of Eating the Right Foods with Braces
The benefits of eating the right foods while wearing braces are huge – all of your hard work to maintain healthy teeth will pay off!
- Faster Progress: Eating the right foods can help your dental treatment proceed more quickly.
- Less Pain: Eating soft foods can help lessen pain and the chance of breaking bands or wires.
- Good Oral Health: Eating foods that are safe for people with braces can help them keep their teeth clean and reduce risk of dental problems.
- Fewer Adjustments: Avoiding damaging foods means fewer emergency orthodontic adjustments.
- Better nutrition: Eating a healthy diet is good for your health and well-being while you are getting braces.
What To Eat With Braces
Having braces means some foods are more convenient to eat than others. It’s important to steer clear of hard, sticky, or crunchy foods as they can harm your braces. Here’s a list of some of the best foods you can eat with braces:
- Soups: Most soups are braces-safe and provide essential nutrition, but ensure they’re not too hot to avoid gum tenderness.
- Breads and Grains: Opt for softer options like whole grain pita bread or pasta that require less chewing effort.
- Fish and Poultry: Soft-cooked chicken, fish, and turkey are suitable if cut into small pieces to prevent bracket and wire damage.
- Dairy Products: Yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese are braces-friendly, but cut hard cheeses into small pieces and avoid overly sticky ones like mozzarella.
- Soft Fruits: Ripe bananas, peaches, and pears are easier to chew and gentler on braces.
- Steamed Vegetables: Choose steamed over raw vegetables, as they are easier to chew and won’t strain your braces, including options like boiled peas, mashed potatoes, and squash.
What Can You Eat in the First Week of Braces
Curious about your diet during the first week with braces? We suggest opting for soft foods to eat with braces. Here’s a list of recommended foods to stock up on for your initial week with braces.
- Mashed potatoes
- Soft fruits (bananas, melons, grapes)
Avoid Foods That May Get Caught in Your Braces
When you have braces, there are some foods that you should avoid altogether. Eating hard or crunchy foods can cause damage to your braces, plus the pieces can get caught in the brackets and wires. Foods to stay away from include:
- Crunchy foods like chips, popcorn, raw carrots and celery
- Sticky candies like gummy bears, caramels and taffy
- Hard Candies
- Chewy foods like bagels, licorice, tough meats can stretch the wires or damage brackets that are held in place by elastic bands.
- Hard fruits like apples and pears
- Avoid sugary and acidic drinks as they can make them more vulnerable to cavities.
Tips for Enjoying Good Foods With Braces
Eating with braces can be tricky, but here’s a simple cheat sheet that will make eating with braces a smoother experience.
1. Pre-cut Foods
When wearing braces, choose soft, pre-cut foods such as fruits and steamed vegetables. Cutting food into small pieces before consumption reduces irritation and discomfort during chewing.
2. Baked Foods
Soft baked goods are great for those with braces. Soft breads and pastries like cake, muffins, rolls, and pancakes are all good choices. And remember: no hard crusts!
3. Buy Soft Versions of Crunchy Foods
For snacks like chips, pretzels, and nuts, select softer versions, like baked chips or puffed snacks, to enjoy the flavor without the harsh texture that can harm your braces.
Get Ready for An Easier Eating Experience with Braces
If you’re wearing braces, you probably feel like your diet has been limited to soft-textured foods only. But that doesn’t have to be the case! Incorporating a variety of soft and easy to eat foods into your diet can help you adjust to your braces and make your experience more enjoyable.
At Orthodontic Experts, we’re passionate about helping you get the most out of your braces treatment. Our braces are designed to be as comfortable as possible, and we even have options that allow you to have a straighter, more aesthetically pleasing smile without standing out too much. Get in touch with us today to get started!